October 4, 2014

POETRY READING: LAST NIGHT



Poetry has been an important part of my life, ever since I began to creatively write as a child I was always writing poetry. I do so to express thoughts and feelings, it is very cathartic for me. I haven't written anything in a very long time, years I would say. I wonder why that is? I thought I would start a series on poems that I enjoy. I start off with a piece I found on Poets.Org. I also wanted to showcase a new voice as opposed to the obvious classics for the first highlight. 

Last Night

I dreamt of making sense,
parts of speech caught up in sheets
and blankets, long strips of fabric
wrapped loosely around shoulders,
goblets, urns, cups with unmatched saucers.

You were there, and the past seemed important,
what was said, what was done,
feelings felt but maybe not expressed,
signs randomly connected
yet vital to what comes next,
to a coming season,
next year’s trip to Nauset Beach.

I woke up wanting to read a poem by that name,
and I found one with a lifeguard’s chair,
a broken shell, gulls watching egrets,
home an ocean away.


What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment